If you're trying to improve your health, lose weight and increase the amount of energy you have during the day you cannot afford to ignore MCT oil. This extract might as well be rocket fuel for your brain and you metabolism.
You probably haven't seen a lot of hype about MCT oil. It doesn't sound glamorous like pomegranate juice and it doesn't come from some exotic locale where mystical farmers bottle it by hand. But it does its job without costing you a fortune.
What is MCT Oil?
MCT oil is essentially a concentrated form of coconut juice. The healthy saturated fats that makes coconut juice so good for your body are called Medium Chain Triglycerides or MCTs. MCT oil is a concentrated version of this fat and is six times as effective as coconut juice for improving your health. It is usually extracted either from coconut oil or from palm kernels.
There are actually four kinds of MCT, each one with a different number of carbons on its molecules. The types of MCTs are:
- caprioc (C6:0)
- caprylic (C8:0)
- capric (C10:0)
- lauric (C12:0)
Regular coconut oil contains mostly lauric acid, whereas MCT oil contains more of the shorter and therefore more useful fats. MCTs are effective because the body metabolizes them in a completely unique way and because they are also digested in a unique way.
Top MCT Oil Benefits
1. Instant Energy Boost: Unlike other foods, MCTs don't go through the digestive system. Instead they go straight to the liver, where they act very much like carbohydrates. MCTs provide instant and well sustained energy. Even a tablespoon of MCT oil in your morning coffee can make a huge impact on your day. You'll feel the impact almost instantly and it will stay with you throughout your work day.
2. Better than coconut oil: MCTs with a smaller number of carbons attached to their molecules are more effective for boosting energy, which is why MCT oil is so much more effective than coconut oil. When hunting for a good brand of MCT oil you want to look for one that is all or mostly C6:0 or C8:0. Brain Octane is one of the most highly recommended brands of MCT oil.
3. Additional health benefits: MCTs provide more benefits than just an energy boost. They also improve health by assisting with:
- Blood sugar regulation
- Appetite function
- They might also improve thyroid performance. Because of these properties MCTs are often used to treat a range of illnesses and even seizures.
4. Rocket fuel for your brain: MCTs also increase your ability to produce ketones, perhaps the most efficient form of fuel for your brain. With an increased number of ketones your brain will never go hungry and you will be able to think more quickly and clearly. This is why regularly ingesting MCTs is like ingesting rocket fuel for your brain. Not only does your body feel more alert, but your mind is also working better and faster. This allows you to do your best work and become more productive than your peers.
5. High performance diet inclusion: If you wanted to achieve the same level of improved performance and focus through your diet alone without taking any supplements you would have to eat a diet of 90% saturated fats, focusing only on foods with a concentration of the correct kind of fat. MCT oil is truly the most efficient way to get these essential fats into your diet.
6. High performance diet inclusion: If you wanted to achieve the same level of improved performance and focus through your diet alone without taking any supplements you would have to eat a diet of 90% saturated fats, focusing only on foods with a concentration of the correct kind of fat. MCT oil is truly the most efficient way to get these essential fats into your diet.
7. Fat Burning: These medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) have been shown to assist fat loss by increasing energy expenditure, compared to the identical number of calories consumed by loner chain fats. More energy out = less fat being stored = fat loss!
How the human body digests MCTs
The human body has an incredibly easy time digesting MCTs. They don't need bile salts for digestion and they pass easily into the bloodstream without needing to be modified the way long-form fats are.
MCTs are also able to form chains with longer form fats, making them easier to digest and often eliminating serious digestive problems altogether. If your body has been struggling to digest longer chain fats you definitely need to start incorporating MCT oil into your diet.
Getting started with MCT oil
Incorporating MCTs into your daily life is easy.
Coconut oil is a great start, but to truly maximize your performance you'll want to supplement this with regular doses of MCT oil.
- Cooking (as long as the temperature remains beneath 320 degrees)
- Dropped into your smoothies (or other morning drink of choice)
- In salad dressings
- In soups!
- And of course you can eat it with a spoon
At first you will want to incorporate MCT oil in your diet gradually. Without time to adjust to the straight dose your body will likely have a bad reaction, especially if you take it on an empty stomach. This generally involves becoming attached to the toilet for a day, which is counter productive. For this reason you should start with one tea spoon.
Take your initial dose for a couple days before increasing your dose to a full tablespoon. You should be able to go comfortably from one tablespoon to three within the space of a couple weeks. Three tablespoons is considered the ideal long term dose.
Where to buy MCT oil?
You can purchase pure coconut oil at any health food store and even in most regular grocery stores. As an alternative option you could cook with palm kernel oil, but most people prefer to use coconut oil.
MCT oil is a hot topic right now, which makes sense because of the wide variety of uses and health benefits. Get started today and experience the benefits for yourself!